- Banking & Benefits
- Success Stories
Is MSG an evil ingredient in the pregnancy diet?
- It is often challenging to keep yourself away from an unhealthy diet. Junk foods and over processed food items found in supermarket certainly attract you. Junk foods, restaurant cooked meals and food items found in Supermarkets such as frozen veggies, a box of pasta, noodles, packaged foods, dairy products, canned foods, chips and crisps contain a large amount of MSG in it. MSG is also known as monosodium glutamate, sodium glutamate, gelatin, glutamate, hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP), glutamic acid etc. It is a food additive found in almost all commercially prepared and packaged food. Even sometimes, the baby food products contain MSG. It is used as a flavor enhancer to make the tasteless food, fresh and tasty.
- Pregnancy is the time when we must take extra care about our diet. During pregnancy, our body and the fetus are very sensitive to food, especially if the foods have additives.
- Many researchers and experts say that the regular intake of MSG during pregnancy may cause physical ailments, neurological disorders, migraines, Alzheimer’s, hyperactivity, depression and even obesity disorders in you and your baby. On the other hand, there are many other experts who believe that MSG is absolutely safe and has no harmful side effects. They believe that there is no proven scientific study so far that says the MSG has a proven adverse effect on women and the baby during the pregnancy.
- So, whom do we believe? It’s better to be cautious when you face such dilemma.
- We will advise you to avoid MSG:
- If you are already allergic: If you are already allergic to MSG, then it’s better to avoid the use of MSG in your diet during pregnancy. As the consumption of MSG may cause certain allergic reactions like sweating, flushing, headache, numbness, muscle tightening, nausea and chest pain etc.
- If you experience water retention: If you experience water retention during pregnancy, it’s best to avoid MSG and all other salts as well.
- For all other pregnant mommies, we would advise you, if you are doubtful about the use of MSG, it’s better to avoid it. We would suggest you to check with your doctor for the most informed advice. He/ She is the right person to guide you.
- So, next time when you go for shopping, pay attention to the ingredient labels of the food items you purchase. A bit planning and execution of those plans can benefit you in the long term health of your family.