- Banking & Benefits
- Success Stories
Twin Pregnancy: What to expect?
Are you expecting twins? Congratulations! You are blessed with double happiness. Being a mother of twins could be a moment of pride, but at the same time very demanding. Twin pregnancy brings its own set of challenges and problems. Have you decided how to deal with them?
How are you going to prepare yourself for a twin birth? If you are expecting twins and don’t know what to expect or how to get yourself ready for it, then you are not the only one. There are many mommies who are pregnant with twins and have no clue what to expect. So, we are here to help you get a clear view on what you should be expecting from your twin pregnancy.
Things you need to know:
- 1. Prenatal Care: Twin pregnancy always needs extra care, as it involves high risk of low birth weight and preterm birth, and other complications. As, twin pregnancy is more susceptible to anemia, you may need extra folic acid, vitamins and nutrients to keep your babies away from any kind of birth defects. You may be more uncomfortable when expecting twins because of the additional weight you carry. The chances of high gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, bleeding in pregnancy are some problems you may face during your twin pregnancy. To avoid this, you need special care at home as well as hospital.
- 2. Pregnancy Symptoms: When expecting twins, you may feel more nauseous, severe heartburn, more tiredness, serious hemorrhoids, sore back, less lung capacity, difficulty in sleeping, etc. The minor singleton pregnancy symptoms may not be minor anymore when expecting twins.
- 3. Frequent Checkups: The regular tests and checkups make sure that you and your twin babies come out healthy through the pregnancy. The twin pregnancy complications like high gestational diabetes and high blood pressure are kept under check with the help of additional testing and monitoring.
- 4. Preterm Labor and Low Birth Weight: Preterm birth and low birth weight are common with twin pregnancy. Most pregnant mothers with twins go through the labor before 34 weeks with babies born weighing less than 2.5Kgs. These preterm births and low birth weight problems may cause health issues in babies such as respiratory issues, etc. But, a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy and a doctor specialized in twin pregnancy may help in reducing the risks of twin pregnancy to a greater extent.
- 5. Labor and Delivery: The labor and delivery may come early with the twin pregnancy. Most women who are pregnant with twins experience labor at around 36 to 38 weeks. As you carry two babies in your uterus, there is a higher possibility of the babies being in a breech position, making the normal delivery difficult. In such situations, C-section delivery is a must. Thus, Cesarean section deliveries become more common in twin pregnancies.
- 6. Support: Twin pregnancy is different from a singleton pregnancy. As it involves high risks and complications, an emotional support from your loved ones helps in gaining the courage to face all the odds. Joining a Twins & Multiples Club in neighborhood during pregnancy will not only provide you support but also help you get real and practical advice on twin pregnancy. You can also join online twins forums where you will get to interact with mothers who have already gone through the same situation.
Now that you are armed with all relevant information, it wouldn’t be difficult for you to survive a twin pregnancy.
Have a happy and healthy twin pregnancy!
Read more about pregnancy here: http://bit.ly/1OgJB2I