- Banking & Benefits
- Success Stories
Treatment of dementia with stem cell banking
Dementia is a term used for brain disorders where one gradually loses the ability to think, remember, learn, reason, and communicate. The most common types of dementia are; Alzheimer’s, vascular dementia, Lewy body dementia, and frontotemporal dementia, etc. Sometime a person can even suffer from two types of dementia simultaneously. It is called mixed dementia. For example, a person may suffer from Alzheimer’s disease and frontotemporal dementia at the same time. Few signs which indicate that the person may have dementia disorder are:
- • Impulsivity
- • Depression
- • Anxiety
- • Balance Problem
- • Tremor
- • Difficulty in speaking
- • Problem in eating and swallowing
- • Hallucination
- • Restlessness
Most Common Causes of Dementia:
- • Dementia is caused due to the loss of brain cells. When the loss of brain cells causes shrinking of the brain (this condition is termed as Atrophy), it leads to Alzheimer’s disease.
- • And if the blood supply of the brain is interrupted, due to which the brain cell damage or die, this leads to Vascular Dementia.
- • Lewy body is a kind of protein that is developed inside brain cells. When these proteins damages the brain cells, it causes Lewy Body Dementia, Parkinson’s disease, etc. It is still unknown that how these proteins cause damage to the brain cells.
- • When frontal lobe and temporal lobe of the brain is damaged and shrunken, it leads to frontotemporal dementia.
TREATMENT OF DEMENTIA USING STEM CELLS:
Most types of dementia are not curable. But few dementias can be stopped from getting further deteriorated. Some dementias which are caused due to the deficiency of vitamin, thyroid hormones, etc. can be treated by providing the supplements. Whereas some other dementias which are caused by head injuries, hydrocephalus, and brain tumors can be treated surgically. For neurodegenerative dementias, further damage must be prevented. Number of drugs present in the market claims to treat mild and early stage of dementia. There is one more possible treatment for dementia. Researchers have found that dementia can be treated with the use of stem cells.
Stem cells are special type of cells, which are found in the blood. These stem cells are found in the umbilical cord of a new born baby as well. This blood is collected couple of seconds after the baby is born and preserved for years under strictly monitored conditions. These cells are self-renewable and multipotent. The stem cells have the power of developing different kinds of cells; this includes brain cells as well.
Since you know that dementia is caused due to the damage of brain cells. Researches have proved that if these stem cells can help in repairing the damaged brain cells and reproduce the new brain cells in place of the dead ones. This in turn may lead into the successful treatment of dementia. Research and development may require a few more years of study, before practically starting the treatment on human bodies.
Science and technology is advancing at a great speed. So if you want to take advantage of this treatment, you need to start preparing yourself right now. Make arrangements to store your new ones stem cell so that he/she can enjoy the benefits in the future. Do give it some serious thought.